Join our team
Best Manufacturing Assistant Job Ever
How ‘bout we skip right ahead to the center of the tootsie-pop? Our small business is located in Fountain Inn. We are biased — but we are pretty sure we are the coolest place to work for, ever. And we really believe that we make the best shutters around (you will see what we mean when you check out our website!). Honestly, the job is not all roses and puppy dogs — there is some good news and there is some bad news.
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first:
- You won’t get rich at this job. The pay is $12/hour. It can be some extra spending money, for sure. However, if you are seeking a job to support a household then this is no longer the ”coolest” part time manufacturing job ever, it is now the “suckiest” part time manufacturing job ever.
2. You will have to be a bit like a superhero with two distinct characters. One will be assembling shutters in the shop and the other will be doing a special project that needs to be top priority for the day. Like a superhero, there’s a chance you won’t know which character you will be until the last minute. If you like to know what you are doing every day with more than a day’s notice, this job might drive you bonkers.
Now let’s talk about the good stuff:
- Our shop isn’t climate controlled. Just think of the amazing benefits of working in a big, open space, with the temperature inside mimicking the temperature outside. When the weather allows, our bay doors are wide open and we’ve got air circulating all around. In the winter you can wear your comfortable sweatshirt, and, in the summer, you can wear shorts and t-shirts to work! Okay, so that part is maybe not the greatest, but there are some (truly) great things…
- The work is fun, fresh and dynamic. You will be working directly with the owners of the business and your responsibilities vary from day to day.
- We aren’t big on stress. So, while we will expect you to work efficiently and get things done, we focus on open communication and getting things done right the first go around.
- The hours are super flexible. We will work with your schedule to get a routine that works for you. Two long days a week best for you? No problem. Rather work mid-morning until midafternoon? Cool, we can do that too. As long as it’s sometime Monday- Friday between 8-5, we can make it work.
- You will experience things, do things, and make decisions on things that no big stuffy company would ever allow you to do. You will be able to dictate the work that you do.
- We randomly give out gift cards…. and the gift cards are to random places. It’s a fun perk and you never know when it’ll happen… but happen, it will… Cha-Ching!
- You don’t need to be skilled at roller skating or laser tag or bowling or escaping a room or mini-golf but you will likely be doing something like that at some point. Every once in a while, we do something fun or goofy or both as a team. We just got a charcoal grill and have already started using it for team lunches and look for more opportunities to fire it up!
Now, let’s talk about the job requirements:
- You need to be the type of person who gets joy out of getting things done. Every day, you will bang out a list of stuff. Important stuff. Necessary stuff.
- You will be standing a lot…. actually, pretty much all the time. And lifting and bending and stretching and climbing a ladder, too. So you need to be able to lift 30 lbs.
- You will be building shutters. So, you need to enjoying working with your hands… using drills, riveters, sanders and other random tools. We can teach you the difference between a drill and an impact, but you should come to us knowing how to read a tape measure and this shouldn’t be the first time you’ve picked up a drill. In fact, putting together something from Ikea is something you like (not loathe) doing.
- You need to be a person who loves to deliver remarkable experiences to other people. You know, you need to be someone who feels good by making other people feel good. We are a team and we believe it’s important to help each other out.
- You need to appreciate quality. You don’t need to race through work and get things done half-assed (we figured that one out ourselves). We need you to slow things down and get them done right.
- We want you to be meticulous in your work. If you are shy or quiet (which actually sounds perfect for us – because Kristin is already a lot to handle) that is totally cool. We are not looking for the life of the party…in fact, quite the opposite. We are looking for a good, fun person, who gets shit done. (Oh and we occasionally swear at the shop…not much…but sometimes a joke is only funny with an F-bomb).
In short, your job is to help around the shop in any way you can. And to have fun at work (who wants a job that isn’t fun?!?). Our shop is casual, but we do expect professionalism and punctuality.
What we don’t expect is perfection or existing skills for you to qualify for this job. We can teach you that. We expect intelligence, energy, and a get it done attitude. When you have questions, you will find the answers with a quick yell across the shop to anyone on our team.
To learn more about us, and to see the kind of products you’ll have the good fortune to make, look around our website or find us on social @southerncraftedshutters
If this is a job that gets you so excited that you would even do it for free, we would totally accept that offer from you. But if you prefer compensation (and we totally get it…we prefer getting paid as well) this is what we offer: This is a part time, manufacturing job. The pay is $12 an hour and the hours will be 15-20 a week. You must come to our Fountain Inn shop two to five times a week (sorry, but this is not a virtual job). You must be at least 18 years old for this position.
In addition to being a detailed person, you must follow systems and processes. In fact, just to prove that you are detailed oriented and can follow procedures, when you apply for this position by email (to [email protected]) you must include “I have found my type of peeps” in the subject line. Yep, that’s our little trick to sort out the people who blanket send their resume to anyone and everyone, from the folks (that’s you) who are truly interested in this position.
We are looking to bring our new colleague on board as soon as possible, but we will spend the necessary time to find the best fit both in abilities and culturally. One thing that will give you a BIG leg up (but is optional) is to send a quick video in along with your resume. In your video tell us why you think you’re perfect for this job and why you will rock this position. This is purely for us to get a sense of your personality. And if you decide not to send a video (that’s ok), please tell us why you chose not to send in a video.
We can’t wait to meet you!!!
The Southern Crafted Shutters Team